I was really looking forward to a five mile hike this weekend. I had visions of rough, tumultuous, inclining terrain being conquered by myself and the young women (ages 12-18 yrs) in our church. I even imagined fending off lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my!! There was even a hazy vision of an attempt to RUN or at least slowly jog the whole five miles with my pepper spray and knife close at hand just in case. I even skipped my Friday lunch workout because I figured the five mile hike/jog would count sufficiently for both days. And is it sad that this hike was the highlight of my weekend?
SIDENOTE: The city of Windcrest (*rolls eyes*) will be having a triathlon shortly here in the spring…I am considering doing this event. It would consist of a 200 meter swim, 10 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run. I MUST do it. Challenge me someone out there!!! Okay…back to the weekend…
Well we all (leaders and young women) meet at the camp director’s house (because this hike is intended to prep us for a week of camping galore during Spring Break) to prepare for Saturday’s hiking adventure. Of course, I’m late but it’s because I went for a short jog around my neighborhood, dilly-daddled on the phone with one of my BEST FRIENDS (shout out NANA!!) because my other friend couldn’t talk ( shout out to KIMPOSSIBLE even though she preferred to nap :P)!!! It was a fun night. We cut patterns for pajama bottoms which those are going to be WILD and AWESOME because we are using two different materials per leg. ZANEY!
Then someone turned the music on and folks, this old hagilicious hunk of gorgeous can still boogy with the young-uns. AND apparently, I can still bend this back for a nice round or two of limbo, limbo, limbo! Chips and dips were passed around. THEN there were root beer floats! And I’m thinking it’s cool. It’s cool. We got the hike to burn all this excess sugar off! So the night winds down and a movie is popped into the DVD player. And slowly the girls fade like dying flies. One after the other. I and another leader opted to finish the rest of the ice cream, loaded with some M&M’s, of course. We are courteous like that…wouldn’t want to leave it out to melt like that and there was no room in the freezer (ssshhh Lisa, they don’t know the truth ).
So we finally decide to join the snoring brood of teen girls. And honestly it was a tough night for me to sleep. Had nothing to do with the loud thundering and flashy lightning. Okay, maybe a lil bit. It was LOUD!! But when I finally do decide to go to sleep, my slumber is disturbed. I am sleeping on the floor…because it’s good for my back. I actually sacrificed the couch for the pregnant lady…because I’m so noble like that. In doing so, I had to fight for the last corner with the gigantic blonde dog that resides at that home. So she kept me up with her paws in my sides. But she eventually left to rest with her master. Thank you, blonde dog. But shortly after that….just when I was on the brink of crossing over to dreamland, the young woman that was sleeping on the huge loveseat right next to my place of rest, toppled onto me…not good for my back. She did this twice; both times jolting me out of a dreamy reverie. I suppose sleep was just not meant for me. At around 7:00 am, a loud knocking on the door aroused me although I was hardly asleep…more like resting my eyelids briefly. And then the young woman who couldn’t decide if she wanted the loveseat or the floor I slept on, karate chopped me in the bladder (yeah, somehow her hand just flopped down into my bladder while she is sleeping)…so it ended my vain attempts to rest. I had to get up and use the potty at that point. Game over.
![]() |
| I looked like this in the AM due to certain peeps dropping onto me in the middle of the night and stuff....no hard feelings...lol |
So then it was breakfast! All the girls slowly began to come out of their hibernation with stretching, groaning, moaning but little protest, surprisingly. And it is announced, there will be no hike due to the excessive amount of rain and muddy, murky, cloudy conditions of the day. BOOOOOOOOO! How rotten. How very, utterly rotten! I had a root beer float for pete’s sake! And M&M’s!! Well breakfast was fantabulous made by the awesome young women.They made MIGAS is how I believe it's spelled. Pajama bottoms were half way done, the skit was brainstormed and rough drafted. AND THEN we had s’mores! Chocolatey, marshmallowy-gooey goodness with the honey crunch of graham crackers.
So let me just say, these group of girls I spent a night and half a day with are the best bunch of gals I know thus far. They are all so different. And in my day, you wouldn’t think to put any of these girls in a group together. But there they were, helping each other with the pajama pants, singing and dancing together, laughing and joking, and it was just very cozy. So although the hike not happening wrought such dismay in me (I don’t think the girls minded at all lol), I was just so superbly impressed with my girls. Yes, I call them my girls. They come from all walks of life…lives that aren’t always peachy and nice and bubbly happy. Lives that are difficult and sometimes downright unfair. But they all exuded such warmth and compassion for each other. And they spoke kindly and so respectfully of each…well except for the occasional joke and tease here and there. It leaves me thinking and believing that we parents, leaders, and mentors are influencing them a little bit somehow. And it leaves me assured that God (as said in a talk last week) has a different curriculum in life for each of us. But when we endure and have the right attitude, we can learn to overcome, love ourselves, and love those around us in the truest, purest way.
MY GIRLS <3
So the point of it all was to recant a great weekend even though it didn’t turn out exactly as planned and also to point out that I probably gained 5 pounds. Those s’mores and root beer floats!! Anywho, let’s have a grand week of losing those five pounds, shall we?
And finally PEACE AND BLESSINGS!! PEACE AND BLESSING YA’LL HEAR NOW! =)










No comments:
Post a Comment