We visited the lake and made the rounds downtown and drove through the little neighborhoods, gazing at their quaint little houses that were surrounded by lush, green, trees. Wednesday we all gathered at a park by the lake and barbecued fish, chicken, and beef. Mom and Aunty made rice, pasta salads, cucumber salad, sashimi, dyden-woos (fried banana donuts), rhotemah (baked tapioca and banana pudding), potato salad, and bread. It was a feast. After the first round, the kids dispersed. Some going to the playground. Some laying on a mat out in the soft grass (and that grass was soft like carpet, I tell ya!). Some headed to the volleyball net. I joined Isaac at the merry go round and swings. It was a treat to be a kid with my kid. I jumped on that merry go round and spun the kids to their hearts desires. And we swung until our heads were dizzy and giddy with joy, jumping off like little daredevils. Then when it was clear he was getting tired of the playground, we took a walk on the little nature trail and ended up on the dock. And we had the most precious kodak moment! I lifted him up on one of the rails and stood behind him and wrapped my arms around his little waist and we watched as seagulls and cranes flew in and out of the water. It was a quiet, tender moment and we watched silently in awe for a minute or so. Then lil man turned his head to me ever so slowly and with deliberateness, he wrapped one arm around my neck and said in a low, sweet, endearing voice, "I love you, mommy. This lake is gorgeous." Gorgeous pronounced goh-jess. And then he threw a rock into the lake and yelped until the birds flew far away. Priceless indeed.
After the dock, we joined my cousins and sister at the sand volleyball net and this old gal here whipped out her mean, tenacious serve. I can't spike worth a damn but let me serve and I'll take a man out! It was fun to skid across the scan diving for the ball. We played some dummy games just for fun, then we teamed up. Girls against boys. Women against whiny babies. And who do you think won?? THE LADIES, DUH!! Yakana girls is in the hizzouse! Then we threw the football around, and after a brief brawl, we skipped rocks on the lake.
I was sad to leave the little town lifestyle. At this point, I'm considering moving to a little town like Storm Lake to raise Isaac. But we will see. I want to do what is best for him and he enjoyed it so much. I have to pray about it and make sure it's the best for him and not just because I had such a relaxing time. Of course, it'll be different once we live there and actually have to survive a bitter winter; but I'm feeling it might be worth it. But for now, I'll just have to say it was a pleasant, enlightening visit and trip. And at the least, I hope to vacation there again someday just to enjoy some of the peace and tranquility I felt there this past week.



No comments:
Post a Comment